Featured Post

she has a name...

Hi my name is Kim and I am a recovering bigot and ignorant sole…once was the day I agreed abortion was a woman choice…sole choice…once was ...

Saturday, October 2, 2010

words hurt...

that person is so “r” word…I was just being “r” word…it is just “r” word…these are examples of conversations I have heard in the past…then when called on the word…”you know what I meant”…”I did not mean it in that way or to hurt Maddie”…”you know I have always said it”…honestly no I do not know what you meant…I do not understand why you continue to use it…and I am not happy that you continue to slip up and use it…I am not a fan of the “r” word…and honestly I do not care of the whole free speech argument…I think the word is hurtful and makes the person using it sound ignorant…my daughter is medically diagnosed and referred by the medical community as Mentally Retarded…I believe congress just passed that it will now be known as intellectually disabled…this is a great step…but it is up to society to just do better…whether it is labeling Black or Hispanic people, gays and lesbians, or people with intellectual disabilities…it is ok to be kind…a student asked Chad the other day in class “how does people with Down Syndrome  think differently then me?”…he responded they don’t…listen closely…Maddie will get it…she will know what is going on and that she was born with Down Syndrome…she will know about the “r” word and she will know that word hurts…she will come home crying and I will have to build her back up…please understand that people with Down Syndrome do know and are present in everyday life…they know they were born with a little extra…they know that they are a unique class of people…so do not assume that people with Down Syndrome are always happy, easy going, and have innocent minds…they are human and they have thoughts, feelings, and emotions…they are vocal and mindful of others…my Maddie just wants to grow up as “normal” as everyone else…so lets include instead of exclude…and keep the “r’ word out of our vocabulary…or you may just have to explain why you can’t to Maddie…when she asks you why?

No comments:

Post a Comment