Featured Post

she has a name...

Hi my name is Kim and I am a recovering bigot and ignorant sole…once was the day I agreed abortion was a woman choice…sole choice…once was ...

Monday, October 11, 2010

just say NO to pity!

Empathy is one of my favorite emotions…it is one emotion that I did not always have…I remember the day I got it…felt it, and put it into motion…it was the day I start working with disadvantage youth…it was the day I realized the world was not a rosy place…like the one I had envisioned…the one I grew up with…I worked with kiddos at a Boys & Girls Club for over 10 years…they taught me that life is not fair…so when I went through the diagnosis of Maddie…I think I had empathy mastered…and when I searched for it in other people… I felt it was hard to find…the synonym for empathy…is pity…I got the “I am sorry”…”well you know that person down the road has a child that died”…that is not empathy folks…so during Down Syndrome awareness month…it is a good time to think…do I have empathy? Or do I have the case of there is always someone worse off then you are…cause that really does not make anyone feel better…and really I am happy with Maddie…I like her extra chromosome and I am not really struggling with Down Syndrome…like I used to…I am over it…she is my daughter…if you do not like her enhancement or it frightens you…ok…face it and start asking questions so we can fix your false stereotypes…or just really stop and look at Maddie…she is the sweetest thing you will ever see…and she does not bite… yet!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! What are people afraid of anyway? I wonder this myself.

    ReplyDelete