Featured Post

she has a name...

Hi my name is Kim and I am a recovering bigot and ignorant sole…once was the day I agreed abortion was a woman choice…sole choice…once was ...

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Neat...


Maddie has been in school for a whopping 3 weeks now...and she is a ROCKSTAR! Of course she loves it...and of course she has so much to say about it...if only I could understand it...that's another post...but the other day she came home with a all about me book..very common and typical for a preschool project...teachers getting to know the kiddos...it was cute and has a hand print and a foot print...and then it is a answer question kind of book...so when I saw it in her backpack I got sad...but to my surprise they got answers out of her...and by golly they were the right answers...the first question was what she likes to eat...pizza...eyes...grey...hair...brown...likes to play with...friends...color....and outside...I was curious how her teachers were able to get her to communicate these answers...Maddie is very good at yes and no questions...but how does she pick pizza? I talked with the teacher and she said they showed her pictures and she pointed...that she made eye contact and smiled...yeah! This is a HUGE thing for us...it made me cry and exhale...to completely see and understand why school is so important for Maddie...at 3 years old...she is typical...she is normal...and she is amazing...I love that she has role models of good behavior...appropriate behavior...I love that she is in a class with kiddos that have a little extra and some that don't...I love that she has 3 teachers and 3 therapists all looking out for her...and I love that her first therapists get to see her in the hall and check up on her...I know there will be some rough days...but I think Maddie will only be better because of this experience...for something that made me puke, fight, cry, and lose a lot of sleep...it has been surprisingly positive and natural...

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for Maddie and for you and this makes me even more excited for Sutter! Rock on Maddie you smart little, pizza loving girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie sounds so damn delightful! I am so happy for you Kim it is a huge transition to preschool and I am so happy it is exceeding your expectations and that Maddie is loving it and thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like she has great teachers who know how precious she is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is making me so excited for Arina to start school! Now that she's 3 and her IEP is done, as soon as I can get that dang TB test she will start. I really think she will take off as it looks like Maddie is doing to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so great to read! I love that Maddie was able to communicate all those things to her teachers...That is one All About Me book that will be treasured :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so great to read! I am so excited for Maddie...sounds like the perfect place for her! She will continue to shine because she is surrounded by great teachers and a amazing family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like she has a great set up at school and to hear she is thriving is wonderful! Lucas is loving school too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I'm so glad her first few weeks are going so well already! I'm sure the rest of the year will be awesome too. :)

    ReplyDelete